My sweet Chloe!


My little Chloe had a hard night last night. She had been punished for making a wrong choice and was still feeling really bad after we had sent her to bed. We hadn't sent her to bed with out hugs from both mom and dad reassuring her that everything was okay and that she could start over and try not to make a wrong choice again. My last words were "don't forget to say your prayers" Well, a few minutes later I came to my bed and I could still hear tears of sorrow coming from her bedroom directly above ours. Of course my warm bed felt really good and I was tempted to think... "oh, she'll get over it" but then I thought it would be better for me to go up and see what was the matter. So I sat on her bed and she was so upset. I asked her why. And through her tears she explained that when she tried to say her prayers... "it just wouldn't work". She said she couldn't get the words out. So we talked a little about that and how I knew she would feel better after she prayed. So she would try again to get enough courage to say "Dear Heavenly Father..." but again, nothing. I went onto explain that our Heavenly Father wanted nothing more than to hear from her. I told her that she would feel His love as she talked to Him and that she would feel forgiven for her mistake. She was still pretty upset... So I thought I'd try and change the mood and asked her to think of something that made her really happy. I glanced over at her end table and saw her cute new pink ipod she had received for Christmas.... I thought, that will do it! I went on to say... "So, try and remember Christmas morning... what made you REALLY happy that day?" I knew the answer was going to be either the ipod or the new Hannah Montana tent... but I was very wrong! She brought tears to my eyes as she said, with no hesitation "I was the happiest when I gave Aunt Jean the card I made for her." Wow! In December she brought home a green and red Christmas card from school. She was very proud of it. She said she had made it for her Aunt Jean who was going to spend Christmas with us. On the inside it had sweet words only an 8 year old could write. I remember one line said "I hope your Christmas with us is Special!"
Anyway, I hugged my little girl and told her what a sweet heart she had and that we ALL make mistakes but only Heavenly Father can take them away if we let Him. I asked again if she was ready to pray.... she was now calm enough and together we said a sweet prayer. I could tell she was much happier and had felt our Heavenly Father's love. We hugged super tight for a long time after that. I believe she was able to peacefully fall asleep instead of falling asleep to tears.
Our children can teach us so much if we let them. I worry sometimes as a mom if I don't allow them to express their love and feelings as much as I should. But I know I will never forget the sweet moment Chloe and I had last night... and I hope she doesn't forget it either!

Comments

grandma said…
I too learned. I love my sweet Chloe. I was so impressed and have wanted to see your home decorations, grateful you sent them..with cute charlie and the hammer, but when I got to Chloe, everything else took a back seat. Sweetest recording of what happened. I love you All. gm
Jeremy Price said…
Such a sweet story, you have such great kids, what a great example of love. Thanks for sharing, you made my day.
ninaranes said…
Aww. You are a fabulous mom. Thanks for sharing your wisdom.

Popular Posts