New Years Day!

January 1, 2010 was spent trying something new.
Jeremy Price had invited us many times to go rock climbing but we had never been able to go... but finally we were able to accept the invitation and it was well worth it. None of us had ever been rock climbing before so we really had no idea what to expect. I had no idea there were designated rocks that already had pins that we could hook on to.
While Jeremy accomplished the hardest task of the day (climbing up and hooking the rope 100 feet up the rock) the rest of us watched and played around. John Ranes took all the little boys and one girl up through the rocks.... I think Grant made him a little nervous. Grant has no idea that the ground really would hurt after a 20 foot fall. Those little boys climbed and climbed.... they didn't realized you needed a safty rope. Its so fun to see them out playing and getting dirty.
The rope was finally ready and Chloe was very anxious to be the first one up. Dad said that if she made it to the top he would give her $5! That bribe ALWAYS works with Chloe. With no fears she headed up the steep rock and made it look so easy. I was very proud of my little girl.... especially after my climb. Marci was the next to get harnessed up... she made it look a little more difficult, yet still managed to reached the top of the rope. I was next and was excited to head up the rock. It was a lot harder than it looked. There were times where I didn't think I could put me feet anywhere... I was amazed when the special rock climbing shoes would grip to even the slightest ridge. It was hard and a little scary but it was so much fun! Cyrus was next and he cruised right up to the top. Sandy wondered if a one legged man was going to be able to climb such a steep rock... but Cyrus made it look pretty easy as well. He also really enjoyed it and hopes he'll get invited again soon! Then little Eli (7 years old) climbed up and again made it look easy! Garrett even got all harnessed up and tried it a bit. I'm hoping that next month I can take the Laurels out and see if they can do it.... it will be fun!
Anyway, I'm hoping to blog a little more this year... one of my resolutions... but that's a whole other blog entry.

























Comments

Sandy K. said…
Very cool! Daryl and I think you have an amazing family, and your photographs document their growth both physically and spiritually. Do you know of Galen Rowell? A very important photographer and adventurer, you should check out his photographs and stories. He and his wife were tragically killed about 6 years ago, in a plane crash, but his work is still being showcased and held as the gold-standard. Your rock climbing pictures made us think of him again. Thank you for sharing your life so freely - Happy New Year.
grandma said…
Incredible, I have always wanted to know how it works...glad you identified your spot. My favorite? Little Charlie making the climb, she doesn't need climbing shoes. Beautiful happy healhty people...love m
Jeremy Price said…
Thanks for putting those pictures up, they are really great. I hope we can go again soon.
Anonymous said…
Hello im new on here. I came accross this site I have found It positively useful & it has helped me out tons. I should be able to contribute & help others like it has helped me.

Cheers, Catch You Later

Popular Posts