Donuts or Mangos?


Normally I would eat BOTH but not today! I have entered a contest with my sister Janet and I am not allowed to eat sweets or I will get points knocked off for the day... AND I really want to win. SO, today the kids and I went to Brother Neumelka's house for free "day old" bread and goodies. He had a box of donuts.... ones with sprinkles, bear claws, old fashioned, maple bars, jelly filled, chocolate covered... they all looked very tempting. I grabbed a box figuring my kids would be very happy with such an "after school treat". After browsing for a while Grant handed my some sliced up Mangos. He thought it was sliced up cheese so I said it would be okay to take the cheese. The produce Brother Neumelka has isn't always the best but this "cheese" looked really tasty and fresh. It took me back for a minute to my years in Cali, Colombia where we had Mango trees, avocado trees, orange trees... you name it it was back there. I was excited to go home and enjoy my mangos while my kids ate the donuts. I can never justify spending money at the store on Mangos because they are sooo expensive, so I was really hoping these were going to be good because the donuts did look rather tasty as well.
We sat outside on the picnic bench. I handed my three little ones the donut of their choice. To my surprise Grant was very anxious to try the cheese he "bought" me. Liam thought he'd give it a try as well. I figured I was pretty save to share a few bites since my children don't normally like "different" food. Well, Grant was in heaven. His donut sat on the table untouched while he took slice after slice of my delicious mangos. Then Charly joined in and was the same... she left the donut and grabbed for the mangos. I think all three of us started shoveling and grabbing a little quicker as we noticed the mangos start to disappear.... I was happy to share since there was a lot to go around and I figure... day old Mangos MUST be better than day old donuts!

AND THE WINNER IS: MANGOS!!


Comments

Sandy K. said…
Who would have thought it? I'm with you on the donut looks better than...almost anything. But I also think it's a great sign that the kids can make some good choices! Congrats. Also...good luck on the contest with your sister. That's a tough one!
Jeremy Price said…
How fun for you guys to find a yummy healthy treat. FYI mangos are on sale this week at winco.

Popular Posts