Love at Home!

Heart I found on Mt. Whitney

Yesterday the Wrey Family spoke about "Love at Home" and so I decided it was something we needed to work on.  Therefore, tonight we had a FHE lesson on that exact topic. 
About three weeks ago I read a paper that Garrett had written for one of his classes and he talked about how his dad is his hero and how we wants to be just like him.  This made me smile.  But as I read on, the next sentence said, "But I don't really get along with my siblings".  This made me sad.  As we hiked down Mt. Whitney I talked to him about this as asked why he felt that way.  He said he was tired of the little boys getting into his room and breaking his stuff.  I think all kids with younger siblings go through this frustration.  But it was then I decided that we need to change some things in our home.  I want my kids to go through this young years seeing the good in their siblings instead of always pointing out the bad.  So, tonight we all came up with a few things to help us have a better feel in our home. 
1.  No Yelling... I admitted to the kids that I am guilty of this... unfortunately they all agreed.  I said I needed their help with this.  I told them I will make a better effort not to yell IF they make a better effort to do things the first time mom asks.  They all thought that was a fair trade.  I know that the "mom" sets the tone for the home and if I am yelling less they will be too. 
2.  Chloe wanted to come up with some type of game.  So we ended up with a jar of marbles.  We decided that we would have a full one and as we do acts of kindness one to another we would get to put it in the kindness jar BUT if there were any unkind acts then one would get taken out.  I'm sure you all get the idea.  Grant liked this idea and said that his 1st grade teacher does the same thing.  Dad even told the kids that once it was full he would take the family to Knotts Berry Farm.  They all thought this would be a wonderful idea! 
3.  Marci said it would be good it we were not so "quick to anger".  We talked about how when we do get annoyed with each other we have to make a consious decision to "NOT" let it get to us. 
4.  Be Patient with each other
5.  Dad thought it would be a good idea if we all looked for the good in each other instead of the bad.  He said he wanted to start hearing some sincere compliments.  They can't always just be "hey, you are awesome!" 

I love my family and hope that this will change the way we feel about one another and as Grant said, "the Holy Ghost will be in our home if we have love."  I know this to be true. 

Comments

Popular Posts