Mt. Whitney


I hiked to the top of Mt. Whitney yesterday.  
About a year ago I overheard Jeremy and Cyrus talking about how they wanted to hike to Mt. Whitney.  As soon as Jeremy left... I said, "I want to go!"  Cyrus was all for it.  So I was officially invited to hike the tallest mountain in the Continental United States.  It is 14,505 feet up.  I have been excited and training ever sense I knew we were going.  We met way back in January to discuss details and figure out what dates to go and who was able to go.  We ended up with a group of 11 and got picked from the lottery to go Sept 8-10.  We were thrilled.
List of things needed: (we started making this list about 6 months ago and every month we were so excited to purchase some cool item that had to go inside our packs)
Osprey backpack 
HERE IS WHAT WENT INSIDE!
Down sleeping bag
sleeping pad
2 person tent
Hiking socks
Hats
Fleece jackets
Shell for wind
2 shirts
clean underware
1 Mountain house meal:  Beef Stroganouf
2 snicker bars
bowl
spoon
Advil
Tylenol pm
bandaids
medical tape
head lamp
deodorant
wag bag
water bottle
ear plugs

I went over this list many times... checked it more than twice and what do you think my pack ended up weighing?
23 pounds
My husband was very good to me... he ended up carrying 35 pounds.  He had to carry the bear box full of food.   Food for three people for three days had to fit into this little tiny bear proof container and then that had to fit inside his pack.  

We loaded the short bus on Wednesday (Sept 7) and left here at 3:00.  We got to the town of Loan Pine and ate some McDonalds then went up to Whitney Portal (8000 ft up).  We set up camp there that night to get use to the high altitude so that on our way up we could avoid getting sick.  I think for me, sleeping in a tent is worse than altitude sickness.  I have never done well in a tent.  We purchased ear plugs to mute the noises of nature that would keep us up... i.e. the creek below, the snores of our neighbors, any critter that might be lurking... BUT did they work?  NO!  Not a chance!  That creek kept me up all night.  Morning could not come soon enough.  We were all so excited.  It felt like Christmas.  We couldn't wait to get started on our 22 mile, 14,505 feet high trek. 




We approached the trail head, took some pictures and we were off.  I choose not to use my treking polls because they seemed to slow me down.  I have always been one that sees a challenge in front and me and just goes for it.  That is exactly how I felt Thursday morning.  I wanted to hike and I wanted to hike fast.  About a mile into it we realized that Jeremy had left the permit in the car so he had to turn around and go back and get it.  Horsley thinks he just wanted to be able to say that he hiked 24 miles instead of 22.  Poor guy... we probably would have been fine without it but he felt like it was the right thing to do.  Cyrus, Garrett, John, Kyle and I kept heading up.  We stopped at Lone Pine Lake to wait for them.  This is where we got to enjoy our first salami bagel.  It was delicious.  We were hungry at that point.  (I think we had only gone about 2 miles.  it sure felt like a lot more)  Soon everyone else arrived and we rested for a while.  The boys went down to the lake and filtered some water for our water bottles.  I was reprimanded by a few when they saw that I had only drank about an ounce of my water.  I've never been very good at drinking my water!  Anyway, the next part of the trail was soooo much fun.  The dirt trail turned had turned into a rock trail.  At points we were climbing stairs made of rocks.  I thought it was so much fun.  I couldn't stand it and had to dash ahead.  My adrenaline kicked in and I was off.  I couldn't wipe the smile off of my face.  I loved every hard step I took.  I felt so good as my legs would push me up those steps.  My muscles were ready for this hike and it felt good!  
We approached outpost camp (the meadow) and enjoyed the beauty there.  After that we stopped at Mirror Lake.  At this point I was off on my own.  I hoped no one was offended that I left the group but my body could not hold back... it had to go go go!  Cyrus said... "Well, Leanne, you do know that you are Jeanine Mickelsen's daughter right?"  I liked that comment.  



Next stop:  Trail side meadow.  A spot I will never forget, I felt my Saviors love here and will forever be grateful for that.  I arrived at the meadow about 45 minutes before anyone else and I sat on a rock in the middle of the creek, shoes off and just enjoyed the beauty that surrounded me.  It brings tears to my eyes just thinking about the spirit that I felt there.  I thanked my father in heaven for the gifts he has given me.  Mainly:  My husband, my children, this earth and all of his creations and the knowledge that I have a Savior who died for me and my family.  This was one of the highlights of my trip.  It was hard to keep my excitement and happiness in.  I was just giddy and I felt like a kid again. 



After that... I was off to Trail Camp.  (this was the end of our 6.3 mile hike for today)  I loved the terrain.  It was hard and it pushed me and I loved every minute of it.  I arrived there and found a few spots for our tents.  It was fun to see everyone arrive at camp.  I was excited to see Cyrus and Garrett because I knew what a hard trip it was and was so happy for their success.  

I arrived around 3:00.  We had an afternoon here and it was COLD... there were no fires nor chairs to lounge around on a visit.  We were all beat and wanted to go to bed. (although I dreaded the thought of sleeping in my tent another night.)  We fixed up our Mountain House meals and food had never tasted so good.  I ate fast and satisfied with the meal.  We were all tired and wanted to go to sleep.  Word spread that I had some Tylonal PM so I gave out some drugs and eventually we all hit the hay (well, rocks in this case).  The drug did weird things to all of us.  We had all retired by about 7:30 so some of us were waking up around 8:30 thinking it was morning, Cyrus woke up around 10 hoping for morning.  I woke up around 1:00 BUT still no morning yet.... Well, it finally came.  6:00 was here.  I heard some people up and so I poked my head out of my tent.  I was surprised to see everyone ready to go.  I wanted to depart with everyone so they were kind enough to wait 5 minutes for me so that I could leave with them.  At this point Cyrus' leg wasn't looking like it was going to be able to summit and Garrett had experienced altitude sickness so we had decided it was best if I left with out them.  We would decide later if they were going to try and summit or not.
Trail camp

 Well, the 5 of us were off... ready to hit the 98 switch backs at 6:30 that led to the other side of the mountain.  I was surprised to see that these switchbacks weren't near as bad as I thought it was going to be.  I stayed with the group for a good portion and then my body started tugging at me saying..... lets go!  This is where I enjoyed it the most.  So, I took off and was headed straight to the top.  The sight at the end of the switch backs was breath taking.  We could see into the Sequoia National Forest.  It was such a beautiful sight.
On the switch backs

more switch backs... Sandy, Jeremy, Robert and Dan

Beautiful views as we walked

Other side of the switch backs

Guitar lake

  I hiked and hiked and finally I could see the top of the Mountain I had been seeking.  The end was in view and I was anxious to arrive.  I kept pushing through the rocks... it would get cold and then it would get hot... it was a constant change of temperature.  I hiked through some snow and then the last stretch would put me at 14,505 feet!  Finally I arrived.  I pulled my phone out to see if I could get cell service.  Of course, I called my mother.  I was a little chocked up.... I didn't want to her to hear it in my voice but it was such a feeling of accomplishment.  I was so happy I could tell someone about it.  She was proud of me and enjoyed those few minutes with me.  Someone took a few pictures for me, I signed the book and since I didn't feel like freezing any longer... I was OFF!



  Down I go.  Going back was FUN... I wanted to return to Cyrus and Garrett.   I knew they were disappointed that they couldn't summit but I knew Cyrus would be so proud of me and would want to hear all about it.  I summited at 9:45 and arrived back to Cyrus at 12:15.  I was so happy to see him.  They were waiting for me at the bottom of the switch backs.  While we were summiting they we planning the next trip we would take to Whitney.  The one they would go all the way to the top!  It was still such an accomplishment for them to go 12000 feet up.  I was so proud of Garrett... I know he will make it next time.  He would have made it this time had he not gotten sick. 
Garrett above Mirror Lake (one of his favorite spots)
After waiting for the others for a while, Garrett and I decided to head down.  Cyrus told me to take it easy... He said he knew that would be hard for me but that I needed to "chill".  Well, I loved our decent.  I got to spend the next 4 hours with my son alone.  I will admit... I was in PAIN!  My ankles were killing me.  Garrett led me down the whole way.  We talked and talked.  He did such a great job.  He kept me going.  Most of my steps were followed by an "ouch, ouch, ouch".  He would ask me if I was ok and if we needed to take a break.  He took care of his mom on the way down and I will always cherish that time I got to spend with Garrett. 
This was the sight I saw as I followed Garrett down the mountain.  He was always quite a few steps ahead of me.  He did a wonderful job!

I will never forget the wonderful adventure it was as I hiked to the top of Mt. Whitney.  I'm grateful my husband let me go and experience this in the way I wanted it... I don't know if it was selfish or not.... but I sure loved every minute of it.  (well... the last 6 miles of "ouch"... I even loved those)

Comments

Jill said…
This puts my half marathon to SHAME, Leanne!! What an incredible experience.
I loved reading all of the details and seeing the pics. You ARE one amazing woman-and very much like Jeanine! (I loved that comment too.)
So happy for you-and SERIOUSLY-impressed. Garrett and Cyrus too-pretty cool to experience it with them. You're hard core!!
Richard said…
I've been so anxious to hear about your hike. Sounds wonderful, and I want to go next time you go. Wow!
Karen said…
I loved reading every word. I still cant believe you did this, it makes me want to go next time.
grandma said…
'Thank you thankyou, I love you so much. it has been an incredible accomplishment for me. I did get the true feeling of your call, and told Dad there was something in your words that couldn't be explained and I wanted to feel them. Your write up was better than the pictures; however I want to see, read and hear more. I can never do that so I live it through you and marvel much. m
grandma said…
Les felicito a todos. Garrett you made it, that is because you had such a desire to go. Thanks Cyrus for YOU. Leanne you are so cute, the pictures shows me how happy you are. love m
ali said…
Leanne! That is awesome. Troy had a similar spiritual experience on his trip to whitney. There must be a reason prophets of old always went to the mountains in prayer!

What an accomplishment! You are one determined woman!

Popular Posts